Camper Trailer of the Year 2016 Finalist Mars Campers Extremo
With true blue value for money, the Mar Extremo hardfloor is hard to beat.
The Mars Extremo hardfloor folds over with the aid of gas struts and the clutch of a remote control 3000lb electric winch, and packs up again just as easily after a good night’s sleep. There is a minimal amount of pole adjustment required and, for a longer stay, you may wish to attach either the 2.3m awning roof, or the complete set of midge-proof annexe walls and PVC floor for the full enclosure.
DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
Out front, we find an Anderson lead and plug, handbrake, your choice of a swing-down or detachable jockey wheel, a full-width mesh stoneguard, mounted spare wheel and the remote electric winch complete with its extendable strap roller to make life really easy. Then there’s a large checkerplate alloy combination module that will securely house two 20L jerry cans and two 9L gas cylinders (jerry cans and gas cylinders are options) as well as a full-width storage cavity with fridge slides on the kerb side. All doors and compartments are fitted with automotive seals and compression locks to keep out those fine red dust particles, common to the rugged Mars environment.
The roof of the rear-fold Extremo is very solid and can carry up to 400kg in weight for quad and motorbikes, kayaks and other equipment. The ridged skid plates provide enormous strength for the fold over and a solid grounding for its convertible role as 2200x1700mm floor. Inside is a practical checkerplate finish over the composite structure which will give many light years of trouble free, easily cleaned, non-skid service. It may not be as cosy as carpet but it is more practical. The small floor elevation also seems to keep things cleaner and tidier, and doesn’t attract that nasty cosmic dust and uninvited crawling visitors.
We find a further dust-free compartment in the road-side of the trailer that houses the power control panel. Inside is a main isolator, digital battery voltage and charge indicators, an Anderson plug and individually fused switches for the pump, lights, fridge and powerpoints. Chargers, inverters, more batteries and so on are available as options but to be honest many prospective buyers in this price range are often willing to forgo a few luxuries. Up front, opposite the fridge compartment, is a lockable storage box that is large enough for two reasonable sized coolers or a heap of travelling necessities, again all fitted with dust-proof seals.
All up, the Mars Extremo needs very little propulsion to get her into outer space, or the wilderness in real terms! This starship weighs in at 1040kg Tare and has a satisfying loading capacity of 1500 ATM. The ball weight is already a reasonably heavy 130kg, so care should be exercised to load the star command module appropriately before takeoff.
HITS & MISSES
- Combination of inclusions and accessories
- Ease of assembly
- Loading capacity and towing weight
- Independent suspension
- Galvanised and Hammertone chassis and box.
- Honest value for money
- Kitchen benches a little low
- Annexe doesn’t cover fridge
- Limited but sensible electronics and power
MARS CAMPERS EXTREMO
- Tare 1040kg
- ATM 1500kg
- Suspension Ind. trailing arms with coils and dual KYB shocks each side
- Brakes Heavy duty 10in electric with handbrake and brake controller
- Coupling 2t poly-block
- Chassis Fully welded, galvanised and painted box section
- Drawbar 100x50x3mm galvanised and Hammertone finished
- Body 2mm galvanised with Hammertone paint
- Wheel/tyre 235/75 R15 alloy mags with new AT tyres
- Style Rear-fold, hardfloor
- Box size 1800x2200mm
- Length (hitch to tail lights) 4300mm
- Tent 4550x1700mm, plus 4550x2300mm annexe
- Gas cylinders 2x9kg holders
- Water 1x70L
- Cooktop Gasmate four-burner with wok burner
- Kitchen Stainless steel sink with pressurised cold water and a folding stainless bench extension
- Battery 1x100Ah AGM
Price as Shown
Check out the full feature in issue #97 February 2016 of Camper Trailer Australia magazine. Subscribe today for all the latest camper trailer news, reviews and travel inspiration.