Camper Trailer of the Year 2016 Winner MDC Venturer LT Cape York Edition
At unbeatable value for money, it's no wonder the MDC Venturer took out top honours.
The whole idea of the Venturer LT (Cape York Edition) is to allow the average family to travel to those remote, and often hard to reach, locations with all the luxuries we’ve come to expect. In order to do that, the Venturer LT needs to be strong right from the get go, and that begins with the 100x50x3mm hot-dip galvanised chassis. It’s as solid as a rock with good quality welds and a proven, track-tested design. In fact, MDC backs its chassis enough to offer a five-year structural chassis and drawbar warranty; now that’s good by anyone’s standard.
DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
Absorbing all of those harsh corrugations is the full independent trailing arm suspension complete with twin shock absorbers. In all seriousness, the trailing arms are that bulky it looks over-engineered, but better to be safe than sorry, eh? Plus there are also 12in electric offroad brakes and a set of 265/75 R16 mud-terrain tyres. So in a nutshell, it’s built to follow you anywhere!
Gone are the days of the old blow-up camping mattress, at least they are for all MDC Venturer LT owners anyway. The mattress of choice is a queen-size 120mm innerspring, which is really up there in terms of comfort. Next on the list is a full gas hot water shower system, included in that $19,990 price tag. It’s a Country Comfort instant hot water system rated at 6L per minute, which means it’s not permanently mounted, but it’s fairly simple to set up and operate. It helps that the hoses are pre-plumbed from the water tank to the front of the camper, so it’s a simple plug-and-play type of deal. Plus, the full ensuite/shower tent finishes it all off nicely, too.
There’s an automatic 12V water pump, so there’s water at the turn of the knob, and, when it comes to cooking, it wouldn’t surprise me if you’d choose the camper’s kitchen over your own home’s kitchen either. Who wouldn’t, with a well laid out stainless steel kitchen made from high-grade stainless steel, which sits on a set of sturdy runners at a comfortable and easily manageable height? The stove itself is a classy looking four-burner, the sink is full sized and the overall design of the kitchen unit is practical, plus it allows for a bucket load of storage. There’s also a full pantry unit so there’s heaps of room to stock up on supplies for the whole family on those longer stints. Plus, there’s even a full-size slide-out bench too.
HITS & MISSES
- Unbeatable value for money
- Boat rack with built-in solar panel
- Tent wall opens out to the annexe
- Ball weight is excessive
- Simple flip-over tent, but still needs several pole adjustments
- Bed is quite high so you need to climb into it
MDC VENTURER LT CAPE YORK EDITION SPECS
- Tare 1340kg
- ATM 2000kg
- Suspension Independent trailing arm with coils
- Brakes 12in electric offroad
- Coupling Poly-block offroad hitch
- Chassis 100x50x3mm RHS (hot-dip galvinised)
- Drawbar 120x50x3mm RHS (hot-dip galvanised)
- Body Zincalume
- Wheel/tyre 265/75R16 mud-terrain on alloy rims
- Style Rear-fold hardfloor
- Box size 2100x1800x725mm
- Length (hitch to tail lights) 5000mm
- Tent size 5000x1800mm (plus 3800x2400mmm for the annexe)
- Gas cylinders 2x4kg holders
- Water 110L stainless steel tank
- Cooktop Thetford four-burner
- Kitchen Stainless steel (304 grade)
- Battery 2x100Ah deep-cycle
Price as Shown
- $19,990 (excluding fridge)
Check out the full feature in issue #97 February 2016 of Camper Trailer Australia magazine. Subscribe today for all the latest camper trailer news, reviews and travel inspiration.