Caria Caravans Toy Hauler GT-8: Video Review
Travel with all your toys in the well-equipped Caria Caravans Toy Hauler.
Based in Campbellfield, Vic, Caria Caravans specialises in custom toy haulers, available in a variety of sizes and configurations. The 7m/23ft GT-8 is designed for sports lovers who want to pack all their kit (think dirt bikes, quad bikes, jet skis or surfboards) and who also like to travel in style with friends or family. To that end, our review model, supplied by Victorian dealer Canterbury Caravans, not only came with a garage, it also had a home theatre, complete with 40in TV, Fusion stereo and Play Station 4!
DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
With a Tare of 2920kg and an ATM of 3500kg, this is a fairly hefty van. It’s built for rough-road journeying with tandem axles and decent ground clearance, and towed nicely behind the LandCruiser on the winding dirt roads we travelled. The fibreglass cladding is fitted to a steel frame on top of a 150x50x5mm hot-dipped galvanised chassis. It rides on leaf spring rocker suspension and 15in mud tyres with alloy rims.
Underneath the van are two 95L steel-shielded water tanks and the spare wheel. The wiring and water piping is all tucked up nicely out of the way and, in fact, the van is nicely finished overall. Up front on the A-frame is a water tap with good stone protection, a small front locker housing two 9kg gas cylinders and behind that is the front boot with an LED light inside. This is a decent storage space but access is somewhat restricted by the gas cylinder locker. On the offside, there’s a locker with an external shower and another that houses the hot water system.
There’s no other external storage; you have the whole garage, of course, although to make the most of the living area, you’ll want to ensure most things tuck away into a cupboard, and storage is provided in the cabinetry of the home theatre for this purpose.
Inside, the decor is modern, with white gloss walls, ceiling and cabinetry with hints of red and black in the kitchen and home theatre, and black curtains and a black leather club lounge up front. With the garage taking up the rear, the queen-size bed up top and the lounge at the front, that leaves the mid-nearside for the kitchen and the mid-offside for a small combo shower and toilet, fridge and full-height robe.
HITS & MISSES
- Secure storage for sports equipment
- Second storey bedroom creates additional space downstairs
- Home theatre is great wet weather entertainment
- Nice fit and finish with plenty of standard features and modern luxuries
- Heavy weight, plus need to be wary of how much you pack in the way of gear to not overload
- Small bathroom with no vanity
- Climbing upstairs to set up the bedroom may not be for everyone
CARIA CARAVANS TOY HAULER GT-8 SPECS
Weights and measures
- Overall length 8.5m (27ft 11in)
- External body length 7m (23ft)
- External body width 2.4m (7ft 10in)
- Travel height 2.95m (9ft 8in)
- Internal height 2.05m (6ft 8in)
- Tare 2920kg
- ATM 3500kg
- Ball weight 220kg
- Frame Steel
- Cladding Fibreglass
- Chassis Hot-dipped galvanised 150x50x5mm
- Suspension Leaf spring, tandem-axle rocker
- Brakes Electric
- Wheels LT235 75 R15 with alloy rims
- Water 2x95L
- Battery 1x100A deep-cycle
- Solar 1x110W
- Air-conditioner Aircommand Ibis
- Gas 2x9kg
- Sway control Al-Ko ESC
- Cooking Thetford combo four-burner cooktop, grill and oven; slide-out external barbecue
- Fridge 184L Thetford three-way
- Microwave Daewoo
- Toilet Thetford cassette
- Shower Flexible height
- Lighting LED
- Hot water Attwood gas/electric 22.7L
- Rear awning; work lights; full oven;
Al-Ko ESC; rear fly wire; blue lights above OHC; home theatre system – 40in LED, Fusion system, PS4, cabinetry;
RV wi-fi, external shower
Price as shown
- $92,990 (on-road, Vic)
The full test appears in Caravan World #542 October 2015. Subscribe today for the latest caravan reviews and news every month!